2010-01-13

Resurrecting the first 1000 points

To spur me on in getting my models together I've created a list for a 1000 points army.

I wanted to come up with something that I could create from the miniatures I already own and would let me include some of the units which really define the chapter.  I also wanted something that was potentially competitive so that I'd be more likely to find some local players and make use of it.

HQ

Chaplain - Combi-melta
110 points

Elites

Death Company - 4 marines (1 additional)
30 points

Furioso Dreadnought - Death Company; Extra armour; Heavy flamer
145 points

Troops

Tactical Squad - 10 marines; Meltagun; Lascannon
220 points

Assault Squad - 5 marines; Power fist; Rhino (Extra armour; Storm bolter)
185 points

Assault Squad - 5 marines; Power fist
165 points

Heavy Support

Baal Predator - Heavy bolters; Storm bolter; Extra armour
145 points

From a tactical point of view, this list gives me some anti-tank and monster killing firepower, hard-hitting assault units, a range of troops choices for objectives and a characterful selection of Blood Angel specific units.  The assault squad in the rhino can be joined either by the Death Company or a tactical combat squad if required.  Its main weakness is probably a lack of focus on any particular theme.


I think this is pretty well rounded and versatile for 1000 points and gives me a chance to explore the strengths and weakensses of the different units as I re-learn the game whilst giving me a good reason to paint up the models I'm most fond of.

Let's see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Furioso for the win! What no Corbs? Brother Corbulo is the sh@t. Keep him near your dread and death company. Furioso with furious charge=i5, striking before other dreadnoughts, marines, lots of other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was in my first draft of the list and I do have the model but there are a few reasons for the missing Sanguinary Priest.

    First of all is that I haven't played at all for years and while I'm aware of the tactical advantages I don't want to complicate my early experiences. I want to start with something a bit more 'point and shoot' that I can take down to the local store and get a feel for the game again. I don't want to worry about the grail radius as my distance judgement will be off, I don't want to worry about whether to keep him out of combat for the heals or not as I don't have an appreciation for the capabilities of the units with or without him being able to attack. When I've got a bit more experience under my belt then I'll start to introduce these more advanced variables.

    Secondly I just like chaplains since I started out with the Death Company and always fielded them in my early games of 40k. This is a mixture of fluff ande sentimentality.

    Thirdly I've always liked to avoid depending on special characters in an army for the age old reason of realism. What are the chances of every Blood Angels encounter being led by the top brass? From what I've read this seems to be less of a rarity and the newer codices encourage more use of special characters to re-shape the way an army plays.

    Fourth, I simply like the chaplain minis. It's also easier to create something unique and characterful whereas everyone's special characters tend to look the same.

    When I get over these issues I'd love to see the synergies that arise from combining these kinds of special rules and certain units. I'd also like to explore what options the new codex will bring to the table.

    Thanks for taking the time to comment, I've been keeping up with your blog for a while and I can see you're also excited about the new codex. I'll be very interested to see what they come up with.

    ReplyDelete